The selection of the descriptive essay topic is one of the most challenging aspects of writing an essay. A descriptive essay, in general, does not demand a lot of research because it is built on one’s personal experiences. Therefore, you have to decide whether you want to write about a place you have been to, a familiar person, or something new to you.
Prior to picking a topic to write a descriptive essay on, it is important to make sure that it is informative to the reader. By all means, we have prepared a list of some exciting topics on descriptive essays for students of all standards.
Descriptive Essay for Middle Standard Students
Understanding a descriptive essay is a complicated process for middle school students. Therefore, choose a concept or topic that is easier to write.
- A trip to my hometown
- One family member who inspires you
- My preferred video game
- My favorite sports
- My new pastime
- Passing a difficult test
- Blue whales have a unique way of existence.
- Your present academic objective
- What is your favorite film?
- The most adorable animal
- A trip on the rollercoaster
- The person who lives next door
- An activity with my first friend
- The smartphone of your dreams
- Your ideal getaway
- It was the most amazing day of my life.
- What distinguishes you from others?
- What do you consider to be the ideal weekend day?
- What is the name of your ideal home?
- What is the name of your best friend?
- The person you love the most; Mom or Dad
- Your city’s most beloved structure
- Taking part in a marathon
- A memory of a dream
- What is your worst childhood memory?
- The ideal train journey
- The most entertaining television program
- The book that I despise the most
- A break for lunch
- A birthday surprise to remember
Descriptive Essay Topics for High Standard Students
It’s challenging to come up with a topic for your school essay that would amaze your tutor. The following is a list of possible essay topics for the students of high school.
- Describe your best friend
- My future plans,
- How to prepare for a speech?
- Meet a random stranger in a crowd.
- Give an example of a hilarious memory.
- I designed my garden.
- My ideal residence
- My first international travel
- The concert was a success.
- My first and only love
- My preferred musical genre is
- Describe the work of art.
- My ideal professor
- Describe the lovely garden.
- Photography is my passion
- The most amazing coffee shop
- My preferred ice cream
- A humorous collection of memories
- Describe your favorite piece of apparel
- Putting on a show in front of an audience
- Your good fortune charm
- What is your favorite pastime?
- Worst-case scenario
- On the beach, it’s the ideal day.
- Your greatest apprehension
- For you, the ideal supper
- For you, the most beautiful site
- My first happy tear
- What is the best way to bake a pizza?
- My first date experience
Descriptive Essay Topics for College Standard Students
The topic of your descriptive essay for the college has to be intriguing to catch the attention of the readers. The best topic for an essay is a testimony to the writer’s sense of creativity.
The following is a list of topics for students to choose from.
- Write a letter to a childhood friend whom you miss the most.
- Give a brief description of yourself to someone who has never met you.
- The sky’s infinity
- The image of your ideal town
- Productivity and musical tones enter into a symbiotic relationship.
- When we stop complaining, life becomes beautiful.
- After the holidays, a day at school
- What is the mechanism of the solar system?
- Life has taught me a lot.
- The effects of domestic violence on children
- My favorite sport
- My admiration for the rural people
- I visited a mosque for the first time.
- Changing a tire on a car
- It’s your first day as a college student.
- Your favorite song on your graduation day
- My first lecture at college
- My most favorite restaurant
- My visit to a supposedly haunted location
- Observing the future
- My favorite time pass spot
- Favorite historical location
- An event that had a significant impact on my life
- The person who had a significant impact on my life
- The perfect bedroom
- The very first email I ever sent
- My ideal job
- My longest journey
- A perfect roommate
- My first failed class test
Narrative Descriptive Essay Topics
The main idea of a narrative essay is to narrate a story. If you use descriptive phrases, your readers can re-enact the event with you.
The reminiscences should be written down and serve as the basis for the essay.
- The day you bought a new car
- Describe an experience that put your life in jeopardy.
- When you first discovered you’re in love.
- When did you have your happiest day?
- A day when you had a change of heart concerning someone.
- Describe a time when you misplaced something valuable.
- Write about how you overcame the most traumatic occurrence in your life.
- Describe how a precious friendship began.
- Your most memorable vacation moment.
- Give an example of a time when you had to make a difficult decision.
- Write a story about relocating to a new city.
- There was a moment when you were eating something extremely tasty.
- A day when you get a poor grade.
- Which of your early memories is the most vivid?
- Describe a situation where there was a misunderstanding.
- The most difficult task you have to complete.
- Consider a time when you accidentally broke something.
- A situation in which you had to act maturely.
- What was the most difficult discussion you’ve ever had?
- Going through a period of heartbreak.
Descriptive Essay Topics on Hobbies
Everyone has some kind of leisure activity. Choose one of the activities that you enjoy the most. Imagine describing them to people who have no idea what your passion is. Be sure to describe your favorite activity accurately.
This list of suggestions can help you find an interesting essay topic.
- How to get started with cooking as a pastime.
- What is it about knitting that appeals to you?
- Why do you like fishing so much?
- What does dancing imply to you?
- Do you enjoy sports as a pastime?
- Card games can be a fun pastime.
- What is the name of the instrument you play?
- Explain why you enjoy singing.
- What are the advantages of video recording?
- Why do you enjoy keeping a journal?
- Relaxing while playing video games.
- What inspired you to begin painting?
- What are your favorite aspects about crafting?
- What makes car maintenance enjoyable?
- Do you believe shopping to be a pastime?
- What is your favorite thing about gardening?
- Meditation is a means of unwinding.
- What is your favorite parts of magic tricks?
- Do you enjoy watching movies as a pastime?
- What are your favorite aspects of reading?
Art Descriptive Essay Topics
Writing a descriptive essay about art can be an exhilarating thing to do. It takes your observational skills and general knowledge.
Do the necessary research on the chosen topic, It is better if you spend some time observing and appreciating the artwork before writing about it.
- What distinguishes abstract paintings from other types of art?
- Describe the steps involved in making a portrait.
- What distinguishes the still life genre from other art forms?
- What are shadows so important in a drawing?
- Texture variations in art.
- In photography, focal points are used.
- What is the best way to enjoy a painting?
- What do you find appealing about Van Gogh’s work?
- Klimt’s The Kiss, in your opinion.
- Explain the steps involved in making a marble sculpture.
- Aspects of sculpting that are essential.
- Michelangelo’s David in your own words.
- Describe the carving procedure.
- What distinguishes poetry from other forms of art?
- Your favorite album of artwork
- Write about how you feel about Greek mythology.
- Discuss your favorite artist
- A work of art that has had the greatest impact on you.
Descriptive Essay topic about Places
Places can be either actual or imaginary in a descriptive essay. Think of a place that has impressed you or that you would like to visit one day. You could write about your favorite place in a big city or a fictional realm.
This list will help you choose the ideal topic for a descriptive essay.
- Your favorite corner at home
- Describe your ideal living space.
- What does the house you wish to live in look like?
- Coffee place of your choice.
- Choose a study location.
- Give an example of a perfect restaurant.
- What is the state of your grandparents’ home?
- Write about your favorite hangout spot.
- Your preferred vacation location.
- A location where you become disoriented.
- Which fictional setting would you like to visit?
- You’d want to visit a European city.
- What is the most gorgeous location you’ve ever visited?
- Which of the states do you wish to go to?
- Describe the world’s most gorgeous tropical island.
- Which historical location would you like to visit?
- The shopping mall where you enjoy going.
- Which century would you most like to visit?
- You’d never want to go there.
- Describe the ideal park.
Association-Based Descriptive Essay Topic
Mental links between thoughts, feelings, objects, or events are known as associations. They are created automatically by the human brain. Take your time when writing an essay about certain association.
The following list can assist you in selecting a decent topic for your essay
- When you see an old caste, what thoughts spring to mind?
- How do you feel when it’s raining?
- What do you think of when you see your favorite painting?
- After reading a poem, how do you feel?
- Reminiscences about your childhood home.
- When you think of family, what comes to mind?
- When you think about travelling abroad, what comes to mind?
- I’m planning a vacation.
- When you think about professional attire, what comes to mind?
- What emotions do you associate with sports?
- What do you think about when you hear the word “goodbye”?
- You have a mental image of yourself.
- When you think of love, what comes to mind?
- What do you think of when you think of chocolate?
- When you’re eating your favorite food, what do you think about?
- Things that come to mind when you hear your name.
- What do you think of when you think about family vacations?
- While listening to your favorite song, you may experience many emotions.
Books-Related Descriptive Essay Topics
- What is your favorite book, and why is it your favorite?
- A book that has had a big impact on your life.
- Write about a literature character who has left a lasting impression on you.
- A fantastical universe in which you’d like to reside.
- What is your all-time favorite book scene?
- Which literary figure do you think you’d like to befriend?
- What is the novel that has had the largest impact on you?
- Give a brief description of the key characters in Frankenstein.
- What is the primary scene in Arthur Goldin’s Memoirs of a Geisha?
- The storyline of the Da Vinci Code
Descriptive Essay Topics about People
- A well-known figure in my hometown.
- Describe the personality of your parents.
- Your favorite movie star’s appearance.
- Describe your best friend in a few words.
- Someone you admire as a sportsperson.
- The one you’re missing the most.
- What are your grandparents’ personalities like?
- Your childhood toy’s personality.
- You’d like to meet a historical figure.
- What qualities do you look for in people?
- You will remember this individual for the rest of your life.
- A person for whom you have strong feelings.
- Give a description of your siblings.
- Someone you admire.
- The type of person you aspire to be.
- Which celebrity do you want to meet the most?
- Describe how you look.
- The personality of your favorite teacher.
- Someone you’ve recently met.
- You can see cultural distinctions in people.
Event-Based Descriptive Essay Topics
- The day at school that will live in infamy.
- It’ll be the best Christmas you’ve ever had.
- A unique historical occurrence.
- The most thrilling birthday celebration.
- Describe a time when you became disoriented.
- A camping adventure to remember.
- Hiking is a lot of fun.
- A narrative of how you entered a competition.
- Attend a sporting event to get experience.
- What events from your childhood had the most impact on you?
- Describe your ideal vacation.
- You were apprehensive about an upcoming event.
- Give an account of your first date.
- A great way to spend a movie night.
- Write about the best sleepover you’ve ever had.
- You witnessed a memorable event on television.
- It’s your first time on stage.
- The most dreadful visit to the doctor’s office.
Descriptive Essay Topics about Your Favorite Things
- What is your favorite hot beverage?
- You’ve never seen a more gorgeous seascape.
- Your city’s most beautiful structure.
- A doll that you adore.
- This is your very first bicycle.
- Which clothing do you always have on hand?
- A vehicle that you aspire to own.
- Your favorite sporting goods.
- An electrical device that you use on a regular basis.
- Which flowers do you like the most?
- A sculpture that you would like to have in your home.
- Which pair of shoes do you wish you could keep forever?
- A notebook you’ll want to keep for the rest of your life.
- Your preferred literary genre.
- You have a favorite musical instrument.
- This is a must-have item for any home.
- Which kitchen item is frequently used by your family?
- The painting that you most admire.
It is not so easy to find a suitable topic when you already have a list of fantastic topics for a descriptive essay. Here are some hints to help you find the best essay topic.
Descriptive essays, as the name suggests, describe something in such a way that the reader feels like they have experienced it themselves. Whatever topic you choose, make sure that you can show rather than tell the story.
Choose the topic that arouses your interest the most and make sure it is not only entertaining but also educational and informative.
How to Structure Descriptive Essay
When writing, you must be certain about the format because it is quite different from all other essays. First, choose a topic from the descriptive speech topics that interest you. Then it would help if you thought about your paragraphs. A descriptive essay, as mentioned earlier, consists of three parts:
In the beginning, add your thesis statement and concentrate on the topic. As this is the part that will grab the audience’s attention, it has to be concise and written smoothly. It provides the reader with the background to help them better understand the topic you are writing about.
Consider transitioning from the background information to your thesis statement. In descriptive essays, the statement usually takes up a sentence or two.
It consists of three paragraphs. Each of these paragraphs should present evidence supporting your thesis statement. If you find this difficult, create five simple tables to organize all the sensory information you have on your topic and then use them to illustrate your thesis statement.
This section summarizes all the presented content. It should contain both your concluding remarks and an overall review of your essay.
Important Tips to Consider
- For a descriptive essay, devise a very genuine and unique topic.
- Write a spellbinding introduction to engage the reader in the essay.
- Use sensory effects in the main body paragraphs.
- Use simple words and powerful descriptions to amaze reader.
- “Show, don’t tell” is the strategy that will make your essay flawless
- The story flow must be meaningful. Start at the beginning and go through the events in the same order in which they happened.
- Produce several drafts to make sure that your essay is error-free.
- Pause when you have finished writing your essay before proofreading it.
- Checking spelling and grammar is an important step that you should not neglect.
- Request a trusted person in your circle to review your essay. It is much easier for them to spot problems you may have missed.