How to Write an Abstract in APA Format | Guide
Published byat February 6th, 2022 , Revised On December 16, 2022
The abstract is the most comprehensive and precise part of your dissertation. It summarizes a complete dissertation in just a few words. It comes right after the title page and is usually no longer than 250 words.
In this article, we will discuss about the writing and formatting of the abstracts according to APA 7th edition.
Writing an APA Abstract
An abstract is a cohesive piece of your dissertation that tells the reader what your research is about.
Apa Abstract Example:
It is normally written after the completion of the dissertation.
Steps to Structure your Abstract
- Outline your research objectives, research questions and the hypothesis.
- Briefly explain your research methodology.
- Summary of your key findings and results.
- 1-2 lines on future suggestions and recommendations.
Has a difficult essay got you down? No problem!
With Essays UK you get:
- Expert UK Writers
- Plagiarism-free Content
- Timely Delivery
- Thorough Research
- Rigorous Quality Control
Formatting of an APA Abstract
Steps to format your abstract in APA style
- Add a running head and page number.
- Adjust page margins to 1 inch.
- Write “Abstract” in bold and at the top center of the page.
- Do not indent the first line.
- Use double-space.
- Use Times New Roman font (12 size).
- Try to complete the abstract within 250 words.
- Write the label “Keywords:” in the next line.
- Italicized the word “Keyword”.
- Write keywords in lowercase letters and in alphabetical order.
- Use commas to separate each keyword.
Selection of Keywords
In the end of the abstract you can provide some keywords for the readers or research, that will be used for Indexing if your work is published in a database. They will help the people to search your paper online. Select the keywords that are relevant to your topic, your sample population and the methodology. According to APA guidelines, there should be at least 3-5 keywords.
Generally, it should be no more than 250 words. But it is recommended to check the guidelines of your research or the targeted journal.
The abstract is written on page 2 right after the title page.
The abstract must be written in your own words. It should focus on your own research content.